Why PDF is such a versatile document type and how to use it correctly? PDF (Portable Document Format) is the format most used in the exchange of documents on the Internet, their storage, and their presentation. It is a format that has revolutionized everyday life. Whatever the field of use, professional or personal, the PDF is always present. In this article, we will therefore discuss the specifics and particularities of this file format, its uses, and its advantages.
What is a PDF format?
PDF, an abbreviation of “portable document format” in French, was created by Adobe Systems in 1993. It was in 1991 that John Warnock, the co-founder of Adobe Systems, launched the Camelot project. Two years later, this project gave birth to a new document format initially called Carousel. It was originally intended for internal use. In 2008, this format changed form to become an open format and even a standard (ISO 32000).
Essential use for different types of uses
PDF is therefore a format used in the four corners of the planet. What is the secret of this craze for files with the PDF extension? First of all, it is a vector format. In other words, the file faithfully preserves all the characteristics of the document, the font, the quality of the images, the illustrations, the layout, etc. Subsequently, this format can be read and modified on all operating systems. Internet browsers also integrate the function of reading files in PDF format.
In addition, a PDF file offers great versatility. Documents can contain all kinds of text, images, forms, buttons, and in some cases even videos and audio. By using the PDF format, you therefore effectively protect your documents and the quality of your images. You can send a file in PDF format from a Windows PC to a MacBook and the quality of the document will remain the same.
Why a PDF format?
Having become a standard for the exchange of documents, PDF has imposed itself in all digital and digital tasks. You use it for printing your documents, sending email attachments, storing documents, creating books, etc. Its use has expanded to reach publishing professionals, newspapers, magazines, governments, and many other organizations. It is therefore necessary to master everything related to the creation of files in PDF format, the reading and the conversion of this type of document.
Using PDF: why?
Nowadays, all you have to do is click on a PDF attachment and it will open automatically without any additional downloads. All terminals and operating systems have their own functions for reading and viewing PDFs.
- Share a document, form, or presentation with your customers, partners, students, etc. So you’re looking to avoid operating system and browser compatibility issues.
- For printing your documents, flyers, brochures, your magazine, or your book without taking the risk of losing your layout or an exceptional graphic design.
- Scan a document to share it with an organization or an administration.
- Use more advanced options of this format, including electronic signature, or secure storage with a password for your document.
How to create files in PDF format?
To take advantage of the multiple services of the PDF format, there are several paid applications, including that of Adobe Systems. These are applications that also offer the possibility of converting files from other formats to PDF or retouching or reworking a document.
In addition to these paid services, there are myriad possibilities to generate PDF files on your Windows, Mac, and even your smartphone. Among those :
- The use of pre-installed applications on PC and Mac such as the Office suite, Adobe software, and other word processing applications. Simply choose the PDF format when saving or exporting the final document to this format.
- You can also generate files for printing and choose virtual printing even if the computer is not connected to a printer.
- Using your printer, you scan your document and save it in PDF format.
- Free applications also abound on the Net and offer to convert your documents to PDF format.